The Community Library in Cobleskill is excited to announce our 2024 February Flash Fiction writing competition open to patrons of member libraries within the Mohawk Valley Library System.
We invite library patrons to submit short stories of no more than 1000 words. We are open to stories of any genre, style, or subject matter, though we are particularly eager to receive stories set in or dealing with winter. While we will consider stories with adult content, we are unlikely to select stories featuring pervasive graphic violence, vulgarity, or explicit sex.
The competition is open to authors in three age categories: Tweens (ages 8-12), Teens (ages 13-17), and Adults (ages 18 and over). The stories will be reviewed by a panel of judges and selected stories will be published online on the library’s website.
Submissions must adhere to the following rules:
1. Submissions must be written by authors holding a valid library card at a library that is a member of the Mohawk Valley Library System in Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady, or Schoharie County, New York.
2. Authors must be at least 8 years old.
3. Authors between 8 and 17 years old must include contact information for a parent or legal guardian. Publication will depend on permission being granted by the parent or legal guardian.
4. Our word count limit of 1000 words is firm. Submitted stories will have their word counts checked using Microsoft Word. Stories with a word count of anything more than 1000 words (not counting title) will be disqualified from consideration.
5. Titles may be no longer than seven words.
6. Submitted stories must be the original work of the author listed on the submission form. We are interested in celebrating human creativity, not artificial intelligence.
7. Authors may only submit ONE original story that has not been previously published. Send us your very best!
8. Authors whose stories are selected as winners agree to grant The Community Library permission to feature their winning story on our library website for a period of one year. The author retains all other rights.
9. Authors selected for online publication will receive no monetary compensation.
10. Stories must be submitted online at bit.ly/FebruaryFlash24 before 11:59 pm, Thursday, February 29, 2024.